"The importance of this branch of
domestic industry will, in some measure, be
realized, when we learn the extent to which the
business is carried by a single establishment,
which has been in operation about twenty years,
under the supervision of Messrs. Collins & Co.,
in Hartford, Ct.
The works of the Company are
located at Collinsville, on the Farmington
river, to which place a branch of the New-York
and New-Haven Railroad extends, connecting with
the main road at New-Haven.
This Company is incorporated by
an act of the Legislature, and has a capital of
$300,000 invested in the business. The
machinery employed is of the most powerful
description, ingeniously constructed, and
skillfully adapted to the various purposes for
which it is intended."
The Plough the Loom and the Anvil magazine,
1854, Vol. 6