Vermont legend has it that one day, soon after the
War of 1812, a peddler stopped at the blacksmith's
shop of Silas Hawes in South Shaftsbury to have his
In payment for this service, the peddler left Hawes
some old saw blades. The story goes on to claim that
Hawes, with typical Yankee ingenuity, welded two of
these saws together at right angles, thereby
producing the first steel carpenter's square.
According to the legend, up until this time squares
had been made of two lengths of wood, joined
together at the angle with a piece of metal.