Frasse's shop was located at 95 Fair Street, later renamed
Fulton Street. During the first decades of the nineteenth
century Frasse's business prospered and his reputation grew due
in large part to the assistance he was known to have provided
Robert Fulton in perfecting the steamboat and other inventions.
Upon Henri Frasse's death in 1849 the business was taken over by
his son Peter A. Frasse and the company's name changed
accordingly. The name of the business was changed again in 1868
to "Peter A. Frasse & Co." when John M. Montgomery joined Frasse
as a business partner.
Peter A. Frasse & Co. incorporated in 1891 following the death
of Peter Frasse and adapted to new technologies over the latter
part of the nineteenth century, capitalizing on the production
of bicycles and, into the twentieth century, the lucrative
The Frasse company grew considerably during
the first half of the twentieth century by attending to the
defense industry demands of the time.
Peter A. Frasse & Co., Inc. continued doing business into the
postwar period, shifting its focus to the considerable new
civilian demand, increasing the size and number of its factories
and facilities, modernizing production via automation, and
introducing new products such as aluminum and stainless steel.
The New York City-based company manufactured and distributed
tools, machinery, steel, aluminum, and stainless steel, and was
engaged in bicycle, automobile and defense manufacturing.