Henry Stanley was born in Stanley
Quarter, New Britain, on September 24, 1807.
After completing his school
education at Monson Academy,
Mass., he was for a time a clerk in a dry-goods store in
Returning to New Britain, he commenced the study of medicine
with Dr. Samuel Hart, but was soon induced to relinquish study
for more active employment.
He was engaged in manufacturing
with Alvin North for a short time, and then went into company
with Seth J. North and William H. Smith, in the firm of North,
Smith, & Stanley.
After Mr. Smith
withdrew, the firm continued as North & Stanley. Mr. Stanley
afterward was in company with his brothers, Augustus and T. W.
Stanley, in the firm of H. Stanley & Co. In 1847 he aided in the
introduction of the manufacture of knit goods into New Britain,
and became secretary, treasurer, and superintendent of the New
Britain Knitting Company.
He was interested in many of the
manufacturing establishments of New Britain and Hartford, and in
At the time of his
death he was president of the American Hosiery Company, the
Stanley Rule and Level Company, and the Stanley Works, and
director in several other companies.
Naturally conservative, his cool
judgment and intelligent counsel often helped to guide the
actions of those associated with him.
He was one of the founders of the
South Congregational Church, and for many years a member of the
standing committee, and clerk of the ecclesiastical society.
He died on May 3, 1884.
The Memorial History of Hartford County,
by J. Hammond Trumbull, 1886